Welcome to the media page for the Day of Happiness. Read official press releases, download high resolution images, read fast facts about the day, or contact us for media interviews, and help us to reach 100 million people for the UN’s first #HappyDay.
About the day
- The Day of Happiness is a global campaign to celebrate the very first United Nations International Day of Happiness, powered by Action for Happiness, in partnership with Cheers
- Action for Happiness is a movement of people committed to building a happier society. It was co-founded by Lord Richard Layard, and brings together the latest scientific research and leading experts from the fields of psychology, education, economics, social innovation and beyond. www.actionforhappiness.org
- Cheers is the world’s first happiness app and technology partner for the Day of Happiness campaign, www.chee.rs. Cheer your Happy Heroes by downloading the app, or online at the Happy Heroes and Happy Day celebrations via www.dayofhappiness.net. Check out the celebrations:
- The Day of Happiness brings together events happening around the world and involves over 35 different partner organisations across around 20 different countries, including the Gross National Happiness Centre in Bhutan, TEDxTeen, Peace One Day, Pay It Forward, Delivering Happiness, global tolerance, Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, Mental Health Foundation, School of Life, Happy City, Wake Up, Service Space, Guerilla Hugs, vInspired, The Happiness Initiative, Happathon, A Good Week, Tenzin Gyatso Institute, Positive News, Barrett Values Centre and many more.
- The International Day of Happiness was officially decreed in July 2012 in a resolution agreed by all 193 member states represented in the United Nations General Assembly
- Over 1,000,000 people have already been reached by our global campaign to celebrate those who bring happiness to others through Cheers, the world’s leading positivity app.
- The Pledge to create more happiness has been signed by over 18,000 people in 130 countries worldwide
Quotes and Happy Heroes
Elton John's protégé is a little girl with a big voice going global.' USA Today. 14 year old Tallia Storm was phoned by Sir Elton John to sing live at his gig and has become a global star since. Her Happy Heroes are:
- "Sir Elton John and David Furnish - duo heros - for I have never smiled so much in my life when he called to give me a break that changed my life. A random act of kindness from a legend who probably has no idea how he has really turned my world upset down - in the best possible way ever imagined so I forever smile when I hear his music, his name and will be forever indebted to him."
- "Ella Fitzgerald - she is my musical heroine and although I am only 14, i feel kind of connected to her through song. Such a voice that has the ability to make you smile as soon as you hear the first note. When I sing, I get lost in a world where nothing else matters, a kind of escape from everything and a place where I always feel happy. 'Summertime' was the first song I learnt as my dad is jazz pianist so the power of music and singing for me is an essential ingredient of happiness. You don't need money to do it, yet it brings such incredible rewards and you're always left smilling!'
- "My family - I'm one of 4 and in our house, song, dance, humour and lots and lots of laughter allows us to get through everything. No matter how bad something can be, you can always think of a reason to smile with your family - that's what my mum has taught me. With my dads piano playing and my mums wicked sense of humour - works for us every time!'
Nelson Mandela’s grandson, who created, with Joseph Peter, this Mandela Happiness Mosaic, created by the smiles of people from every country in Africa. His Happy Heroes are:
- "My mother Maki Mandela - She has never stopped being source of inspiration to people"
- "Kathy Eldon who worked with her daughter to create Creative Vision Foundation"
- "Mary Fisher, who he describes as ‘one of the world’s leading HIV/AIDs activists and one of the most amazing people I have ever met"
His Holiness Karmapa Thaye Dorje
His Holiness Karmapa Thaye Dorje is the 29-year-old head of the Karma Kagyu lineage and the third most senior leader in the Tibetan Buddhism. His Holiness' Happy Heroes are:
- "The human heart. The heart is the hero, the saviour, the one that saves yourself and others. In Sanskrit, this is known as a Bodhicitta, and is the most precious of all. The human heart refers to compassion. Where do Buddhas come from? From a compassionate heart. While Buddhas are helpful in life, it can be said that a compassionate heart is even more precious than a Buddha."
- "My parents. For my life they have sacrificed everything, their time, their youth, they have given up so much. Yet they have never had any day of regret - in fact they rejoice and wish that every day will pass by more and more peacefully than the next."